I held onto Lilly tight and didn’t want to let her go, goodness knows when I would see her again. She has been so good to us and is very much loved by us all.
The bus drove us along the busy freeway, leaving Belfast behind. I sat looking out the window and sobbed until I could sob no more. I was filled with emotions that were tearing at my heart. Mobile phones rang and their owners spoke cheerily of rendezvous, and of drinking stories from the night before; I just sobbed.
The weather was kind for our arrival in Dublin at about 12.30pm. We clickety-clacked with suitcases in tow to Fitzsimonds Hotel, right in the heart of Temple Bar and in the thick of the action; just how we like it. I knew the boys would love Dublin and I was right. The characters on the streets provided the best people watching material, the buskers were the soundtrack to the city, the cobbled streets bustled with life and we all loved it. We hit the tourist trail and checked out the Hapenny Bridge almost at our hotel door. City Hall was grand with its light filled dome decorated with golden flowers edged in black. We had a quick peek at Dublin Castle but it was about to close so we headed for the gardens. If you are a foodie like me, next time you are in Dublin, make sure you head for Fallon & Byrn’s Food Hall, it’s super doper and chock full of all kinds of delicious goodies.



I love the orangey, red brick buildings of Dublin but most of all I love Trinity College founded in 1592. We spent quite a bit of time there admiring the lawns mowed to show a checkerboard effect, the pillared entrances to the great buildings, the cobbled courtyards, old trees and ivy covered buildings. We played catchy with AJ in the main courtyard, we all had fun.


We crossed the O’Connell Bridge leading us to the other side of the flowing Liffey, and into the Guinness scented, Arlington Hotel. On stage were a duo, singing and playing guitar, flute, and fiddle; a wee taste of Irish diddly for the Reyments. Whenever I think of the diddly I think of you Kath (miss you X). We stayed for a drink and to soak in the atmosphere before heading to Temple Bar for dinner. The streets were beginning to hum, Friday night was on the horizon and there was partying to be done by all and sundry.
We found Frankie’s Italian Bar and Grill which sounded like it suited us to a tee – and it did. Great service, maybe even a little too attentive. Frankie’s has only been open in this location for a few weeks and is Marco Pierre White’s newest baby. I tucked into the Gratinata Tagliolini alla Carbonara. It had all the elements of great Carbonara and was finished off under the grill giving it a creamy, cheesy crust. AJ finished mine after his own Gnocci Genovese which he loved.
We were all smashed after our late night last night, our emotional goodbyes and our trip to Dublin so we opted out of dessert and tumbled out onto the streets. As we had grown tired, the streets had become bright eyed and bushy tailed. Young and the not so young spilled from the doors of the famous Temple Bars. Buskers strummed, sang, and beat their drums, their music drifting on the cool night air. We doled out a few euros to the talent and slipped inside the much quieter confines of the hotel. Sleep came quickly.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for making a comment, the staff at Living Life Less Ordinary thank you for taking the time to interact with us, hee hee hee.