Monday, June 1, 2009

Bye bye Ritz hello Belfast. Friday 8th May 2009.



Breakfast was superb. The restaurant was draped lavishly, the table was set with precision, the food cooked to perfection, the service impecable and 'Yes mam, you can have Vergemite, of course'. AJ and I people watched, trying to match the diners with the cars we thought they would drive and the jobs they would have. One young man in his late teens arrived buttoned down, hair slicked down without a ripple to be seen. We felt at any moment he would blow, tip the table up and yell, 'No Mummy and Daddy, I shant'. We laughed at our surroundings and the interesting creatures we were beginning our day with as I am sure they laughed at us. After this moment out paths would never cross again I am sure.

AJ and I went out into the London streets and indulged in some more people watching, it is becoming our favourite sport, and with so many participants! We headed to the Bourough Markets which were wonderful, a melting pot of cultures and characters and so much great food to be had. We ate hand made pasta with tomato and pesto sauce for lunch, hmmm.

We colected our baggage and the head porter picked up his phone. "A car will be here shortly to take you to the train station." Before long a silver BMW whisked us away and we left the lap of luxury behind us. What a wonderful experience.

AJ and I dodged the additional Easy jet baggage charges by filling our hand luggage to capacity, boy was it great to arrive in Northern Ireland and get that bag off my shoulder. Rob was there to greet us, the craic began on sight.

We arrived at Glencairn where Lilly was waiting. It had been six years since I had last sat around their table and this was a first for Alex. How special to have Alex in Belfast to learn about my heritage and to see where Grandma and Papa come from.
Alex went to bed and Lilly, Rob and I sat up until near 4am. It’s great to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for making a comment, the staff at Living Life Less Ordinary thank you for taking the time to interact with us, hee hee hee.