Just another ordinary day here, talking food with a personal friend of Paul Bocuse. John and I spent some time at Pierre Bastin's poultry shop discussing the wonderful Bresse chickens. Theirs is the next step in the paddock to plate tale after visiting Mieral, the factory in Montrevel-en-Bresse a few weeks ago. Yoann Bastin showed us, step-by-step, how they prepare a Bresse chicken for a client like us, or customers such as the master, Paul Bocuse who they deal with on a day to day basis. It is a family run business, their passion for what they do was what first attracted me to them. I approached them as a customer many weeks ago and Yoann launched into a long and passionate tale about why Bresse chickens are so good, the age of each one on display, the nuances between each etc. That lead us to the farm and factory and back again today to watch the preparation. We left with a plump Bresse chicken, tightly wrapped and oven ready, a gift from Yoann and Pierre. Yoann gave us specific cooking instructions to best enjoy this superb bird. Converted to Aussie dollars it is a $70 chicken! We will eat early, as soon as AJ arrives home from school as we are leaving for Phillipe's farm at 7pm. I'll let you know how it goes.
Oh, and just a little afterthought... Pierre gave me the phone number to the kitchen at Paul Bocuse Auberge just outside of Lyon. I have just got off the phone to the kitchen (even that is a buzz) and then to Martine Bocuse who will talk to Paul Bocuse tonight and call me to advise if it is possible to visit the kitchen to see their preparation of Bresse chicken and to do a photo session. I will be so surprised if it is possible but you just never know. Stay tuned!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

OK you know I'm dying with anticipation here! Should you get to meet M. Bocuse, be sure to mention how much we enjoyed visiting his (now defunct) restaurant in Melbourne some years ago!
ReplyDeleteDave xx
I bet the chickens are so tasty! Cant wait to hear more on the visit to the kitchen. Miss you guys.KAthy xxx
ReplyDelete